Monday, August 3, 2009

Surveying The Wondrous Cross


When I survey the wondrous cross
on which the Prince of Glory died;
my richest gain I count but loss,
and pour contempt on all my pride.


Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
save in the death of Christ, my God;
all the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to his blood.


See, from His head, His hands, His feet,
sorrow and love flow mingled down.
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,
or thorns compose so rich a crown.


Were the whole realm of nature mine,
that were an offering far too small;
love so amazing, so divine,
demands my soul, my life, my all.


Isaac Watts first published "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross" in his Hymns and Spiritual Songs in 1707. This old song is still beautiful. It is one of the first English language hymns to use the word "I". It focuses on a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ and the finished work of Calvary. When I survey, I count but loss, that I should boast, etc.


Jesus Christ is a personal saviour and He saves in a personal way. Listen to each saints' testimony and you will find a variety of stories and works the Lord has accomplished in the lives of old sinners. Listen to the variety of prayers and praise of saints' and you will discover a treasure trove of the wonders God has done for His people. He's my personal Savior, Lord, and King. Is He yours?


And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me. Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you. -Luke 22:19-20


Did you catch that? His blood, which is shed for you. For you. Not only for the rich. Not only for royalty. But, for you. For sinners, like you and me. Why?


For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. -John 3:16


Because He loved you, He gave His very best which was Himself. He who knew no sin, became sin and became the propitiation for our sins and not for mine and yours only, but also for the sins of the world. The sins of the murderer, of the drunkard, of the child molester...my sins, your sins! He left the ivory palaces of glory and condescended to mankind for the sole purpose to die for our sins.

"Out of the ivory palaces, Into a world of woe, Only His great, eternal love Made my Saviour go."

Now, when I survey the wondrous cross, I see love and joy unspeakable. Jesus made a way. Jesus built a bridge with those three nails. A bridge from depravity to divinity and it's the cross that spans the gap. It's Jesus who spans the gap.

The cross made a difference. Calvary makes a difference. It was a day like no other, the day Jesus was crucified. It was a day all eternity past looked forward to and it was a day all eternity future can never forget. It was a day of saints delight, of Satan's defeat, of sinners' deliverance. The cross made a difference then and it still makes a difference today. There's still power in the blood of Jesus! There's still wonder working power in the blood of the Lamb! The cross made a difference in my life and it can make a difference in your life, too.



1 comment:

  1. I love that song. I cannot EVER hear, sing or think about it that it doesnt bring tears to my eyes. To think, that God did THAT for me... Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete