Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Especially the Parchments


The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments. -2 Timothy 4:13

What's important to you? What's dear to you?

Paul is in prison about to be executed. He is writing a letter to young Timothy and he says, "Timothy, when you come here, bring me my coat that I left." He said, "Bring me the books, too." But, I like this, he said, "Whatever you do, don't forget to bring the parchments."

Paul must have thought, "Hey Timothy, it's cold in here, bring me my coat." He might have thought, "There's not a television, no library, no gym, bring me the books." But he said, "Above all else, I need the Word of God."

What's important to you? Is the Word this important to you? Facing adversity, discomfort, fear and loneliness, Paul wanted the Word of God.

Jeremiah was persecuted, mocked and laughed at. He said, "I'm not going to speak anymore in His name. I'm through. I'm finished. I'm going to quit. I'm going to close the book." Have you ever been there? Have you ever thought that? Have you ever let the world cause you to cower? Have you ever heard the devil tell you that it's over? To tell you to quit? But Jeremiah said, "His Word was in mine heart. And it was like a fire shut up in my bones," he said, "I can't quit." Jeremiah said, "He couldn't quit."

Paul said he fought a good fight, but he still wanted the Word of God. He finished the course, but he still wanted the Word of God. He said the time of his departure was at hand, but he still wanted the Word of God.

Whatever you may be facing today, don't forget His promises. Don't forget the parchments.

1 comment:

  1. Well said Brother Jeff. I was just reading that just last week. 2 Timothy gives a different insight on Paul's life. Like you said he was facing death. Of course it was cold, A prison must have been cold in the 1st Century. I really do like that verse where he mentions to Timothy to bring the parchments. He was lonely, like you said there was no Television, no radio,no newspaper; all Paul had was Luke there with him. Paul knew he was facing death and instead of grieving over it he just wanted to spend his last moments in the word of God reading. Paul is a great example of what a christian should be like. Great choice of words and Subject brother Jeff.

    Rev. Kevin Tankersley

    ReplyDelete