Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Happy Re-Birthday!


Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.


In the gospel of John (chapter 3), Jesus said these words to Nicodemus, a man of the Pharisees, a ruler of the Jews. Perhaps afraid, perhaps ashamed, Nicodemus came to Jesus at night when no one else would see him. The Lord didn't turn him away. Jesus told him he must be born again.

Birth is the beginning of life. Birth is the beginning of parenthood. Birth is the beginning of a family. Birth is even the beginning of death. Birth is the beginning of the life cycle. Birth is the beginning.

Jesus told Nicodemus that he must be born again. This puzzled the pharisee. He asked, "How can a man be born when he is old?" Jesus answered, "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."

We are born once, born into flesh, into corruption, into sin, from the bloodline of fallen man. Not by choice, but by nature. However, Jesus said to enter the kingdom of God, we must be born again of the Spirit. This rebirth is divine. It is a great change made in the heart of a sinner, by the power of the Holy Spirit. A new birth! Taking on a new nature, new principles, new goals, a new life, we undergo this dramatic change of state and character. It means He does for us what we cannot do for ourselves! What was wrong in us, God can make right.

Nicodemus asked, "How can these things be?"

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. -John 3:16

Believe in Him. Accept Him. Trust Him.

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. -Galatians 2:20

I was born again in August of 1983. I was 11 years old, but I remember the night. It was on a Friday at the end of Vacation Bible School. The preacher preached creation from Genesis, but ended with hope nailed to a cross. I remember a change even then. And although, I haven't always been with Him, He's always been with me. 26 years under the guidance and protection of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. I love Him because He first loved me. I love Him for doing what I cannot do for myself. I love Him for His promises. I love Him for being my God, my Lord, my all in all. As I celebrate my birthday today, I really celebrating my rebirthday.



No comments:

Post a Comment